RCR Frequently Asked Questions Site Banner

RCR Frequently Asked Questions

Who is required to complete RCR training?

All School of Medicine faculty, postdoctoral fellows, staff and anyone else involved in research are required to complete the SOM RCR Program. Graduate students and other trainees should contact their training programs for more information.

What are the requirements of the RCR program?

The RCR Program has three components (all of which are required): 1. The online RCR course offered by CITI, available through myLearning in the Johns Hopkins portal, 2. the Research Integrity Colloquia or equivalent, 3. an annual Department/Division meeting on a relevant RCR topic. Click here for detailed information.

I can’t make it to a Research Integrity Colloquium but I need credit. Are there any other options?

Can I substitute RCR training completed elsewhere for the SOM requirements?

No. RCR training taken at other institutions may not be substituted for the JHU SOM requirement.

I completed my HSR certification training and am now being asked to complete RCR training. What’s the difference? 

The Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Program is overseen by the Office of Research Integrity and is required of all faculty, trainees, staff and others participating in research at the School of Medicine in addition to HSR training. Additional HSR certification training is required of principal investigators (PIs) and other researchers based on guidelines overseen by the Office of Human Subjects Research/IRB.

To determine if you are required to complete HSR training in addition to RCR training, see here or contact the IRB here.

Who can I contact about the RCR Program?

Please e-mail Research Integrity staff at integrity@jhmi.edu.